Introduction and Scheme of Examination
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI) has established National Testing Agency (NTA) as an independent autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization under Society Registration Act 1860 for conducting efficient, transparent and international standards tests in order to assess the competency of candidates for admissions to premier higher education institutions.
The Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India has entrusted the responsibility of conducting Joint Entrance Examination JEE(Main) to the NTA from 2019 onwards.
Admission criteria to Undergraduate Engineering Programs at NITs, IIITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI), Institutions funded by participating State Governments, and other Institutions shall include the performance in the class 12/equivalent qualifying Examination and in the Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main). The Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) of JEE (Main) will also be an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), which the candidate has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programs offered by the IITs.
About JEE (Main) – 2019
The JEE (Main)-2019 will be conducted twice before admissions in the next academic session. The students will have following benefits of the new pattern:
- This will give one more opportunity to the students to improve their scores in examination if they fail to give their best in first attempt without wasting their whole academic year.
- In first attempt, the students will get a first-hand experience of taking an examination and to know their mistakes which they can improve while attempting for the second time.
- This will reduce chances of dropping a year and droppers would not have to waste a full year.
- If anyone missed the examination due to reasons beyond control, then he/she won‟t haveto wait for one full year.
- The student‟s best of the two NTA scores will be considered for preparation of Merit List/ Ranking.
The first JEE (Main) – 2019 was held in January, 2019 whereas the second will be held in April, 2019.
Mode of Examination
JEE (Main)-2019 will be conducted in the following mode:
- Paper-1 (B.E. /B. Tech.) in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only.
- Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B.Planning): Mathematics- Part I and Aptitude Test-Part II in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only and Drawing Test –Part III in “Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on drawingsheet.
Choice of Medium of Question Papers
The medium of Question Paper shall be in English, Hindi and Gujarati.
The option of question paper language should be exercised while filling up the Application Form and it cannot be changed at a later stage.
Type of Examination
JEE (Main)–April 2019 shall have two papers, Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) and Paper-2 (B. Arch. /B.Planning). Candidates may take Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) or Paper-2 (B. Arch. /B.Planning.) or both as per the course(s) they are seeking admission to.
Subject combinations for each paper, type of questions in each paper and mode of examination is given in the table below:
|PAPER||SUBJECTS||TYPE OF QUESTIONS||Mode of Examination|
|Paper-1 (B.E./B.Tech.)||Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry||Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with equal weightage to Mathematics,Physics & Chemistry||“Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only|
|Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B. Planning)||Mathematics – Part I Aptitude Test – Part II||Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||“Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only|
|Drawing Test – Part III||Questions to test drawing aptitude||“Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on Drawing sheet|
Requirement of papers for different courses is given in the table below:
|All other undergraduate courses (B.E. /B. Tech.)||Paper-1|
|B. Arch /B. Planning (At Institutions other than IITs)||Paper-2|
Syllabus The details of syllabus are given on the website www.jeemain.nic.in